ABADE BAÇA MUSEUM

ABADE BAÇA MUSEUM

In 1915 it was created the Regional Museum of Art Works, Archaeology and Numismatic of Bragança. In 1925 opens to the public under the direction of the Abade Baçal (Fr. Francisco Manuel Alves), which, from 1935, is named as its patron, fair homage to this eminent scholar transmontano which greatly contributed to the consolidation and enrichment of Museum collections during his direction.
The Abade Baçal Museum is housed in the old building of the Episcopal Palace of Bragança that with the advent of the Republic goes to state supervision, being the subject of subsequent re-use and refurbishment. In the 30s it was made a major intervention carried out by DGEMN, and in 1994, following the acquisition of the adjacent building that only has remained the main wall, the project of Arqs. António Portugal and Manuel Maria Reis finally gives the museum the possibility of create a museum program consistent and cohesive. Since 1986, the building is considered to be of public interest.
Facebook